Red Clay Consulting
The Database Administrator is responsible for supplying, implementing and supporting customers with large enterprise Oracle database software installation and support, communicating technical concepts to client IT personnel, and implementing standardized processes and procedures. To be successful in this role one must be able to work effectively in a fluid, fast-paced environment. In addition to being hands-on, you will serve as the key interface with Oracle database development and architecture teams, building new relationships through identification and remediation of issues to improving performance and availability for your customers. This role will also include assisting in Red Clay’s internal database network and configuration support as needed. Projects are usually time sensitive and business critical, therefore a strong work ethic, sense of urgency and commitment to quality work is required. This role requires good communication skills, both with team members and business contacts. Finally, a successful candidate must be able to work with minimal supervision on multiple concurrent tasks/projects.
Familiarity with Oracle databases is required. Experience with Oracle Utilities Applications, Oracle, SQL Server, MYSQL or Big Data platforms is highly desired. Experience with supporting cloud based technology for databases is a plus. Travel up to 75% is required.
DBA Responsibilities will include:
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Responsible for creation/maintenance of administrator and user accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software, allocating storage space, and backup recovery solutions/strategies.
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Uphold high standards, learn and adopt new methodologies and tackle new challenges in everyday work. We want our DBA to be on the cutting edge of technologies constantly seeking to improve performance, and uptime of the database systems.
- Manage Oracle databases in Development/QA/Load/Production environments including installation, configuration, backup, recovery, replication, upgrades, etc.
- Responsible for database deployments, and monitor for capacity, performance, and/or troubleshooting issues.
- Experience with backup/recovery, sizing and space management, tuning, diagnostics, and proficient with administering multiple databases (Oracle, MySQL, ExaData, Oracle Cloud, etc.).
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Build database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialized role
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required
- Experience installing, configuring, upgrading, managing, and administer databases like Oracle in Linux environments
- Responsible for strategically plan, design, implement, manage, and support large mission critical databases to meet established service levels.
- Maintain databases that are highly available, have sufficient capacity in place and are fully resilient on premise and possible multiple data centers and cloud architectures.
- Administer day-to-day monitoring and troubleshooting of jobs, problems and performance issues in our clusters.
- Coordinate and schedule Cluster/Service downtimes to perform maintenance procedures. i.e. DB patching, upgrades, etc.
- Occasional off-shift on-call availability to resolve Production issues or assist in Production deployments.
- Appropriately assists other staff members with complex queries and with analyzing queries for efficient database access.
- Prepares standard query language (SQL) statements for use in programs as needed by programming staff and provide database support to RCC employees.
- Thorough knowledge of UNIX operating system and shell scripting
- Bachelor’s degree (Computer Science preferred) with 5+ years’ experience as a DBA managing Oracle databases in Linux environments.
- Experience working in information management, with emphasis on database administration, SDLC, systems integration, complex SQL queries, relational database concepts, data warehousing, data modeling, business intelligence and reporting solutions
- Experience implementing, managing, and working in Cloud, PaaS, and SaaS environments is highly desired
- Experience supporting 24×7 Database environments
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time (generally Monday through Thursday on client site). Location of clients varies, but is generally within the United States and Canada
- SQL tuning experience with the ability to support complex SQL applications
- Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
- Experience with Hadoop eco system such as HDFS, MapReduce, Spark, HBase, YARN, Sqoop, Flume, Hue, Impala, Hive, etc., is a plus.
- Experience in a technical database engineering role, such as software development, release management, deployment engineering, site operations, technical operations, etc. Oracle Enterprise Manager is highly desired.
- Ability to actively monitor existing databases to identify performance issues, and give application teams guidance and oversight to remediate performance issues.
- Excellent troubleshooting/problem solving and communication skills.
- Scripting/Programming (Unix shell, Python, etc.) experience is highly desirable
- Experience with big data management is a plus.
- Experience with Oracle, relational database administration is a must.
- Experience with database migration utilities.
- Must be able to work as part of a team, maintain a good work ethic, be a self-starter
- Ability to provide on-call support services with flexible hours and schedule
- Experience tuning hardware and software configurations for local and client environments
- Travel: Ability to travel to on-site projects by plane or automobile (up to 100% out of town)
- Walking: Ability to move about on foot to accomplish tasks or move from one work site to another
- Typing: Ability to type
- Sitting: Ability to remain sitting for extended periods of time
- Lifting: Ability to lift up to 10 pounds; may be required to move or adjust light computer equipment
- Talking: Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word
- Hearing: Ability to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication
- Repetitive motion: Ability to make substantial movements of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Visual: Ability to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading
RCC is an EOE. Only qualified candidates will elicit a response.